Monday, April 3, 2017

Canada's Big Three Telecom Comparison

Tax season is upon us.  This forces me sift through my trades for the year.  There were a few stocks that were bought in previous tax years, so I have to go back and find my average cost.  Over the years, I've traded brokerages like I have done so with my stocks.  I have lost track of my initial investments.

I used to buy bigger blocks than I do now.  I was fearless... then somewhere along the line, I got scared and started doing smaller trades as time went on.  I held a lot of good stocks back in the day and yet, my lack of patience got the better of me.  

Anyways, let's do a comparison on Canada's big three telecoms.  I used to own $RCI.B (200 shares) many years ago, but I sold them out for a few hundred bucks in profit.  If I only kept it, I'd be in much better shape than holding $T.TO (100 shares) that I currently hold in my RRSP for the past 1 year+.  Who are the leaders in each industry?  Who are best at retaining customers?  How are they growing their revenues?  

RCI.B +13.24%- 1yr 
T.TO +2.92%- 1yr
BCE.TO -0.35- 1yr

But when you compare them all in the five years time span, they all were pretty much on par with each other growing approximately 49%.  Patience wins over short term trading, unless you can pick winning trades after another.

Over trading can sure damper your gains.  If I had just held all the quality stocks I had bought over the years, I'd be in much better shape.  

We have had a great bull run for the past 8 years.  People have been calling for a market crash for a while now... it has yet to materialize.  But I would be cautious in adding positions at this level in case of an upcoming correction.  Take your profits and wait for the dips.  



No comments:

Post a Comment